If you head over to https://www.mupromo.com/macfonts you can take part in a promotion they’re doing and get over 2000 font files free. Note that I said files. There’s a separate file for each style (e.g. bold, italic) so I don’t think it’s actually 2000 fonts. Here’s what you do- you do not need a Mac. I checked the license in the download file.
- Go to https://www.mupromo.com/macfonts
- Create a sign in or use an exiting one to log into MacUpdate’s servers
- Use the Twitter or Facebook method to advertise their promotion. I opted for the Twitter method, but I dislike that I basically gave them access to publish to my feed, not that I use it much.
- MacUpdate will automatically add MacFonts to your digital downloads page
- Download the DMG file to your Ubuntu desktop
- Go to http://www.catacombae.org/dmgx.html and run DMGExtractor from Web Start
- Select the DMG file and opt to save the output as an ISO
- Right click the ISO file and choose ‘Open with Archive Manager’
- Find the ‘MacFonts’ folder and within that select the ‘Fonts’ folder and extract it
- You now have 2000+ font files.
I highly recommend that you not install them all. For one thing they’re probably not all that different from some you already have. But also, having a million fonts does incur a performance penalty. When you want to install one, double click the file and it will open a preview of all the glyphs in the file. If you’re sure, click the ‘Install’ button in the right hand corner. Fire up LibreOffice Writer or another app and get publishing!