Select Page

I had a lot of fun installing the Quantal Quetzal beta yesterday. It’s nice to be back after several months in Windows land. At this point I’m doing things in a dual boot setup.

A couple of things I ran into:

  1. I had weird visual striping problems trying to run the desktop cd for Quantal Quetzal (beta) so I instead installed Precise Pangolin and upgraded from there.
  2. I recently acquired a diNovo Edge keyboard and a Touch Mouse. These are very slick. And thanks to this note, the keyboard works like a charm.

    Edit the file: /lib/udev/rules.d/70-hid2hci.rules(If you need help editing a file, see bottom section.)

    Change this line:

    # Logitech devices
    KERNEL==”hiddev*”, ATTRS{idVendor}==”046d”, ATTRS{idProduct}==”c70[345abce]|c71[34bc]”,
    RUN+=”hid2hci –method=logitech-hid –devpath=%p”


    KERNEL==”hidraw*”, ATTRS{idVendor}==”046d”, ATTRS{idProduct}==”c70[345abce]|c71[34bc]”,
    RUN+=”hid2hci –method=logitech-hid –devpath=%p”

  3. I got Sublime Text 2 running with no trouble, thanks to the convenient repository from WebUpd8.
  4. I run into this in Thunderbird every time- I want to reply above the quoted email! Here’s where to set that.
  5. Do yourself a favor and set Firefox to reopen whatever you had open last.
  6. I don’t seem to be able to watch my Amazon videos online- in fact, it tells me my Flash plug-in is out of date! Chrome, which builds in its Flash player also seemed to choke on the Amazon player. But what’s this? Adobe Flash is EOL on Linux?!

    NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.

  7. I prefer Firefox, but I always install multiple browsers. I think it’s very cool and smart for Chrome to automatically add a software repository to Ubuntu so it can be updated in the “right” way.
  8. Thank goodness for this man and his help in getting me the Solarized theme in my copy of Komodo.
  9. Really, really odd issue with Apache. The javascript folder in my htdocs folder was being bypassed and the files were being looked for in /usr/share. It turned out this was caused by /etc/apache2/conf.d/javascript-common.conf. I don’t know why this was added but I removed the symlink and now things are peachy.